Frequently Asked Questions

Building can be a complex business, and we spend a lot of time helping customers understand the process. Here are a few of the common questions we get.

At what stage do I need to involve a builder in my new build project?

This can vary from person to person, and project to project.

Some clients are willing to come up with a plan and design on their own and some prefer to have the builder do all this for them. This can be a good idea especially with renovation work as if you do not have the vision and experience required it can actually lead to a lot of stress and put you in a negative frame of mind before anything is achieved.

Will I need building consent from the Council before we start?

The majority of building and renovation work will require a consent, although there are certain types of “exempt” work that can be carried out without council consent if completed by a licensed building practitioner.

Do I need to use a Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP)?

Certain projects are classed as “restricted” - for these, you will need a LBP to complete the work. Work involving the building structure, weather tightness require a competent builder to complete. A record of work (ROW) can only be completed by a licensed builder and this paperwork gets lodged on the council files.

Do I need my builder to be a member of a building association

The answer is no, but it is highly recommended.

By using a member of CBANZ (Certified Builders of New Zealand) you will be sure they are trade-qualified and have suitable references and are always up-skilling to keep on top of their trade.

Do you follow a documented process for your building projects

Yes we do. You can read about our 6C Process here.

Don't see the answer to your question? Call Alex on 0278848175
or contact us by email.

Book your free onsite consultancy

Simply provide your name, email, and some information about where you are located and we'll get in touch.

You'll also receive a copy of our PDF.

Scroll to Top